Posted on 17th January 2021 by Fiona
The NHS has been under unimaginable pressure for almost 10 months now. Whilst those in the front line and emergency care have had to shift much of their focus to saving lives of those with Coronavirus, waiting lists for other services and care have been growing.
Recent headline news has included startling facts such as:
- There was a record 4.46 million on the waiting list for routine treatment, including knee and hip operations
- More than 192,000 have waited more than one year – in February, before the pandemic started, the figure stood at 1,600
On top of this, GP surgeries are now coming together to do a sterling job in co-ordinating and delivering the vaccines, meaning they face even greater pressures.
Throughout this pandemic, as a healthcare business, here at goPhysio we have been able to remain open for care, be it online (through virtual consultations) and since May 2020, re-open for face to face care.
There are many issues that you may have previously seen your GP about that you now feel reluctant to.
- Maybe your pain or injury doesn’t seem serious enough and you can’t justify taking their time
- Maybe you think it will just get better on it’s own
- Maybe you’re just putting up with it and crossing your fingers, waiting for restrictions to lift
- You may not feel comfortable going to an NHS facility, concerned about others there
- You might have already had NHS help but it’s just been on the phone or you were given some generic exercises that aren’t helping
- Maybe you weren’t confident with a phone or online appointment and think you’d benefit from a second opinion
The NHS is urging people to still seek help and support through their GP or 111 service if they need it. The systems in place now are there to help you and any concerns about your health should not be ingnored.
However, there are many conditions and injuries that may not warrant seeing your GP that we can help with. We can offer same day appointments, with our specialist team, who can assess your injury or issue and provide a tailor made recovery plan. The waiting and the wondering can often be the most frustrating and worrying part of an injury. So having a clear picture and plan and having all your questions and concerns addressed can be so helpful.
Examples of the most common issues we are seeing include…….
- Back pain, both long term and more recent, acute back pain
- Neck and shoulder issues (lot’s from home working)
- Sports injuries – lot’s of overuse injuries from running and home workouts
- People waiting for surgery such as hip or knee replacements
- Those recovering from COVID, wanting support to build back up and return to normal activities and sports
- People who have had an NHS GP or Physio phone appointment only and want to see someone face to face
- Those who think they may need a referral to a consultant or for a scan and aren’t sure what to do or where to go
So, if you don’t want to wait and want an alternative to the NHS, don’t delay. You can book an appointment online here or call us on 023 8025 3317.
We look forward to helping you.