Posted on 8th October 2018 by Fiona
At goPhysio, we understand if you’ve got back pain or stiffness – it’s tempting to think that it’s nothing, that it will go away on it’s own. Yet we moan about it, we tell people about it, we struggle to walk upright, we can’t sleep, it stops us doing doing the things we enjoy like golf, gardening or walking – but for some reason we just put up with it. Often hoping it will miraculously disappear by the morning.
If that’s happening to you, you’re not alone. We hear this type of thing all the time. In fact, lower back pain and sciatica is THE most common problem we solve at our Physiotherapy Clinic in Chandlers Ford; getting people just like you back to the activities you enjoy, pain and injury free.
5 Reason’s Why Your Back Pain Could Be Lasting Longer Than You Expect
- You’re confused about what do. You’re unsure of what to do or who to see about your back pain? That’s quite common in the early stages, as you’re getting conflicting advice from your friends, family and possibly your GP.
- You’re hoping it will get better itself. This is often wishful thinking, fingers crossed you’ll wake up fre of pain in the morning! (Sound familiar?). Unfortunately, this is rarely the case. If your back pain has lasted for any longer than a few weeks or has recurred a few times, it’s an indication that you need some help to get to the bottom of it.
- You’ve been ‘resting’ for too long. Resting too much and for too long is detrimental to recovery. When you rest, your muscles will get tighter and weaker and your joints will get stiffer. This will be most noticeable to you when you try to return to the activities you enjoy. You get ‘straight back to normal’ after a period of rest, and more often than not, this is when your back pain returns and the cycle continues.
- You’re doing generic exercises from ‘Dr Google’ The internet is a great source of free information. However, it’s obvioulsy very generalised. The exercises you may try are not specific for your back problem or for your personal lifestyle. In the real world, this isn’t the most effective way to quickly ease your back pain and get back to doing the hobbies and activities you enjoy!
- You’re tackling the symptoms but not the cause. Doing this is like using a sticky plaster. Seeking ways to just relieve your pain or tightness in the short term, like having a massage, hoping it would fix your long term, recurent problem, isn’t the solution. You need to get right to the bottom of the issue and do something about it. There are often a number of issues that have combined to cause your back pain. If they’re not addressed you risk entering that lifelong cycle of pain.
So, if any of that sounds familiar, it’s not a bad thing, in some ways it’s a good thing………
Firstly, it tells us what doesn’t work, so we don’t have to waste anymore time. Secondly, it tells us how much closer you are to finding a solution to your back pain and making a decision about permanently fixing it!
At goPhysio in Chandlers Ford, we help you recover from back pain and get back to the activities you enjoy, pain and injury free
What You Can Do To Start Your Recovery From Back Pain Now
- Make a decision to get help. Hopefully, with this information and your free back pain guide, you’re beginning to understand more about your back pain and are closer to making the right decision and returning to the activities you enjoy. Just consider other situations when you’re not confused with your decision about what you need to do………
- When your hair is too long, you go to the hairdresser’s and get it cut.
- When you have toothache, you’d see the dentist.
- When your cat’s ill, you’d call the vet.
- If your car broke down, you’d visit the garage…………..So, when you have back pain, you should see a back pain expert to guide you quickly out of pain and disability, returning to the activities you enjoy!
- Actually get the right help. Once you’ve decided to get help, don’t delay! Avoid putting up any unnecessary barrier’s to your recovery! Seek out a back pain expert and get some real, expert advice, specific to your injury. You need them to devise a treatment plan aimed at getting back to the activities you enjoy! This may include some ‘hands on’ treatment to help relieve your pain and other symptoms initially, so that you can get mobile and active again in comfort, quickly. Physiotherapists are the first choice for professional sportsman and women the world over, we can also be the best first choice for you!
- Do the right exercises’s. Long term, most exercise is great for helping relieve and prevent recurrent back pain. But in the short term, in the early stages, it’s crucial to do the correct exercises, specific to your back pain injury. Being under professional guidance will ensure you receive the right treatment at the right time, speeding your recovery and quickly returning you to the activities you enjoy!
- Avoid rest and inactivity. Total rest is never a good idea, it will only delay your recovery, prolonging your injury. Instead, at goPhysio we use the term ‘selective rest’, which means to rest only from the aggravating (pain causing) activities. This is a crucial first step to a speedy recovery! So make sure you’re getting up and moving about as much as you can.
How Deciding To See Us At goPhysio Can Help You
How can choosing to see a Physiotherapist at goPhysio help you get rid of your back pain in the next few days?
Here’s just a few of the things we can do for you to ease your back pain in the next few days………
- Hassle free access to expert Physiotherapists No waiting list’s, convenient early and late appointments, free parking, no referral needed from your GP – you can book by just giving us a call.
- Same day appointments We’ll offer you an appointment within 24hrs of you getting in touch, often on the same day. Once you’ve made the decision to see us, we’ll ensure there are no barrier’s to your recovery.
- We can quickly ease your pain and stiffness We can help you find out what’s really going on, and get to the root cause of your back pain once and for all. We know that you want to have some relief from your pain, so will use a range of techniques to make sure we help with this.
- We’ll help you get a good nights sleep Trouble sleepin often goes hand in hand with back pain. If you’re having trouble sleeping, we’ll teach you how to position yourself comfortably in bed, to help you sleep much better.
- We’ll teach you how to help yourself. It’s all well and good use helping you during your appointments, but its crucial that you are doing everytjing you can do to help yourself the rest of the time. We’ll teach you the best postures, position’s and exercises to ease your pain and stiffness in-between sessions.
- Get to the root of YOUR problem We make sure we spend time finding out exactly what’s causing your back pain. We lsiten to your story, what you love to do (and want to get back to). You’ll leave your first session with a bespoke, written personal recovery plan, outlining your treatment program and expected timescales, helping to reassure you with the right information, that’s relevent to you.
- We’ll show you how to keep active We’ll make sure from your first to last visit, you clearly understand what you should and shouldn’t be doing, returning you back to more and more activities as you improve, ensuring you stay as active and mobile possible throughout your recovery to the activities you enjoy.
- We’re totally focused on you Our care is focused on solving the injury problems and concerns of importance to you, ensuring you achieve your goals, returning to the activities you enjoy!
How Pilates at goPhysio has helped me, by Jill G
Hopefully we’ve answerd some of your questions and concerns and addressed the worries you may be having about your back pain.
If you have read the information above and think that seeing a Physiotherapist is the best step to take to help you recover from your back pain and our team at goPhysio are the ones to help you, you can book an appointment.
If you want to know more, you can request a FREE special injury report here.
There are a few options if you’d like to book an appointment:
- Call our friendly, helpful Patient Services Team on 023 8025 3317 (we’re open from 8am – 8pm Mon – Thurs, 8am – 6pm Friday & 8am – 12pm Saturday)
- Book an appointment safely and securely online here 24/7
- Pop in to see us if you’re in the Chandlers Ford area
- Drop us an email or chat to us via our ‘Live Chat’ facility online
If you’re still not sure whether we can help, we’re more than happy to arrange a free telephone consultation. Just drop us an email to email@example.com to request this and we’ll be in touch.
Don’t forget to request the free special injury report 8 quick, easy ways to live a healthy, active, positive life, free from back pain here, for more advice and information about back pain. Request my free special injury report.