Posted on 31st January 2016 by Fiona
We know it can be a bit daunting if you’ve never been to see a Physiotherapist or Sports Therapist before. Here we outline what you should expect the first time you come to see us.
- When you arrive at the clinic, you’ll be asked to fill in a short form. We just need to check your personal details and make sure we have information such as who your GP is. You’ll also need to consent to us holding your data under GDPR regulations.
- At your appointment time, your Therapist will come out to meet you and take you through to one of our spacious, private treatment areas.
- The appointment will start by your Therapist asking you a series of questions so they can find out in detail about your pain, injury or condition and why you’ve sought the help of a physiotherapist or Sports Therapist. The more detailed and specific you can be (if you know), the better, as there are likely to be some really important clues in your story that help your Therapist identify what the problem is. They’ll also want to know about your lifestyle and what you enjoy doing and whether you’ve got anything important coming up that you need to be in top physical form or pain free for. We make sure we work with you to help you achieve your goals.
- Your Therapist will then examine you physically, looking at your injured or painful area and any other parts of your body that could potentially be contributing to the problem. You may be asked to carry out certain movements and your physiotherapist will analyse how you’re moving and further examine the area.
- Once they’ve gathered all the information, they’ll explain to you exactly what they think is going on and causing your pain or problem, in a way you can easily understand. You’ll have the opportunity to ask any questions you may have.
- Your Physio or Sports Therapist will explain what treatment will best help you and give you lots of information and advice of things you should and shouldn’t do to help you recovery. Treatment will start in this first appointment, so you start feeling the benefits straight away. You’ll also be given some exercises to do at home and these will be emailed to you after your appointment with clear pictures, videos and explanations to help you remember what to do.
- At the end of your appointment your Physio or Sports Therapist will give you an idea of how many appointments you may need and over how frequently. They’ll take you back to reception, where you can book your next appointment to continue your recovery. You’ll have your Therapist’s personal email address and the clinic phone number, where you can contact us at any time if you have any questions or concerns.