Posted on 8th Sep 2018 by Fiona
World Physical Therapy Day takes place every year on 8th September. The day is an opportunity for Physiotherapists (physical therapists) from all over the world to raise awareness about the crucial contribution the profession makes to keeping people well, mobile and independent.
Get Active. Stay Active. Talk to one of our Physiotherapists today.
The campaign message of World Physical Therapy Day 2018 is “Physical therapy and mental health”, demonstrating the role that physical therapy and physical activity has in mental health.
The campaign is focused around the following key messages:
- Exercise as an evidence-based treatment for depression.
- The role of physical therapists working with patients who may have mental health issues.
- The benefits of physical activity in protecting against the emergence of depression.
- How better outcomes are experienced when exercise is delivered by a qualified healthcare professional, such as a physiotherapist.
- How people with mental health issues are more at risk of having poor physical health.
Here are some great infographics that summarise how mental health can be improved with exercise and the crucial role physiotherapists can have in supporting this.