Posted on 21st April 2017 by Fiona
This time next week, On Your Feet Britain are challenging the nation to get On Your Feet. This is the third national day, when 1 million workers across Britain will be encouraged and challenged to sit less & move more.
Awareness of the “Sitting Disease” has rocketed up in recent years. Standing desks are certainly becoming more commonplace, in fact our offices at goPhysio have 2 standing desk work stations.
Is it time your workplace joined in the fun event to take James Brown at his word?
Join 1 million office workers #SitLess and #MoveMore by signing up your workplace to this free event and see a different aspect of your colleagues.
Here’s some ideas to get you moving
- Here’s a thought, instead of emailing the person opposite, do something revolutionary – walk over & talk face to face. It’s a good way to do business & it’ll do you good.
- Ditch your usual lunch ‘al desko’ and take a stroll outside. You’ll get a spring in your step and feel better for it.
- Make phone calls standing up. You’ll feel more confident and burn more calories than sitting.
- Run a lunchtime fitness workshop, class or guided walk.
- Add a walking meeting to your day.
- Have 1 less chair at a meeting. With every change in the agenda item, move around and swap who stands.
- Walk to work or get off the bus a few stops early.
- Set a timer or reminder to break up prolonged periods of time on the computer to remind you to stand up & move about regularly.
- Drink more water – you’ll have no choice but to get up regularly to visit the loo!
Why not take it on as an office challenge & free yourself from the office chair for the day. Find fun & easy ideas online to take part.
So Friday 28th April 2017 is your chance to get the ball rolling and encourage your employees and colleagues to take a stand. Team up with colleagues and see how much “sitting time” you can reduce on the day.
Sign up today at onyourfeet.org.uk
Read more: Is standing the new sitting?