Posted on 25th June 2014 by Fiona
Many women are nervous about exercising during pregnancy and stop all activities once they discover they are expecting.
Whilst high impact and contact sports aren’t advisable during this time, there are many forms of exercise that you can do.
The general advice is that if you’re already regular exercise when you get pregnant, you can keep up this form of exercise – but don’t take up anything new!
There are many benefits to exercising during pregnancy, including:
- Maintained Cardio-Vascular fitness
- Helping with a more positive pregnancy experience
- May help prevent gestational diabetes
- Preparation for labour
- Improved circulation – reduces fluid retention
- Assists in post natal recovery
- Maintains muscle length and flexibility
- Maintains healthy weight
- Increased body awareness and control – reducing risk of injury
- Increase levels of energy and feeling of well-being
One form of exercise which is great to take part in whilst you are pregnant is Pilates. Pilates provides a safe, low impact and fun way to maintain your fitness levels and keep active for almost everyone who is pregnant.
The benefits of Pilates during pregnancy include:
- A safe, low impact form of exercise
- Conditioning & toning of your pelvic floor muscles
- Improved postural awareness and control
- Improved spinal and pelvic stability
- Maintains fitness levels throughout pregnancy
- Prepares your body for new tasks (toning and strengthening your arms & legs ready for carrying your baby and all that extra equipment around!)
- Reduces pain associated with pregnancy such as low back pain, SPD, pelvic girdle pain
- Social opportunity – meet like minded, local mums to be!
The benefits of Pilates after you’ve had your baby include:
- Assists with weight loss and toning
- Increases fitness levels
- Helps maintain bone density
- Social opportunity – meet local new mums
- Can help prevent post-natal depression
- Speeds recovery from delivery
- Builds muscle strength and tone
Check out more information about our Pregnancy Pilates Classes at goPhysio in Chandlers Ford.
We also offer a post natal check up service, called goMummy – read more about it here!